Saturday, January 19, 2013

Elaine Beachy "Good Samaritan"

This is a true story that happened in January 2013 to Elaine Beachy who lives in Virginia.  This is the first chapter, Elaine posted what happened the next day on Face Book. Thanks Elaine for sharing this story with us. Blessings!

In line at the checkout counter at Food Lion around noon today, I noticed a woman behind me holding a single bottle of Mountain Dew. She drew her jacket close around her as she shivered. 

"I'm so cold," she declared. I suggested maybe she go into the ladies room to warm herself by the hand dryer. She replied her husband is waiting on the motorcycle outside. 

I was incredulous. I asked her what she's doing on a motorcycle, and she replied they drove up here from Florida to take care of some family business, as one of the family here had passed away and they were settling the estate. She said when they got here, her mother in Nokesville (a few miles from Manassas) wouldn't let them come stay with her, doesn't want them to have a share in the settlement, and they have no place to go.

I questioned her about her home, her other family, and her 

situation. She said they lost their jobs, lost their house, had to sell their car, and all they had was on the motorcycle outside in the parking lot! A few clothes, besides the warmest ones she was wearing. She said they should never have left Florida, where it's considerably warmer than here. 

As she told me they were homeless, tears filled her eyes and she began to cry. She said the shelters are all full, churches won't help them, and they had no place to go. "I don't know what we're going to do." I asked her where they plan to spend the night. She said she had no idea. She just cried. 

I had to do something. I debated inviting them to come home with me. I struggled with the safety issue. Then I thought I could at least buy them some hot coffee, a sandwich, and get enough cash to pay for a hotel room for the night, which I offered to do. She was amazed, but hope came into her eyes for a moment. "You'd do that for us? I can't believe it. There are so many other people in the same situation we are, and one just can't go asking people for help." I reminded her she didn't ask me for anything; I offered.

As we headed for the hot coffee and sandwich area of the store, I asked her again about her mother in Nokesville, and if she could possibly be persuaded to take them in. She shook her head, and said she was so surprised that her mother had turned against her too, as they used to be so close. Then she added, "She's supposed to be a Christian."

Back at the check-out counter I paid for her meager meal and got $50 cash to give her. I asked her where her husband is.

"My husband is sitting outside on the motorcycle. He's so depressed, I'm afraid he's going to kill himself." Then she added in despair, "We are just so desperate, I don't know what we're going to do. Maybe I should just kill myself too." 

I took her by the shoulders, looked her square in the face, and said "NO! Don't you dare do that! God loves you very much; don't give up!"

Customers were beginning to line up behind us, but I didn't care. The clerk who had helped us find the coffee and sandwiches and was waiting on us just kind of watched us talking. 

She hugged me and began to weep. She said she tries to pray, but maybe she isn't doing something right, she said. I assured her I'd pray for her, and she asked if I'd also please pray for her husband Dale.

She said she will never forget me, and asked if I would give her my contact info so she could maybe someday repay me for my kindness. I told her that's not necessary, but I gave her my contact card if she needed to get in touch with me. She asked what church I go to, and I told her, "Manassas Assembly of God." She said maybe they can make it to church on Sunday, and asked what the service times were, and which one I go to. 



No comments: