Sunday, September 27, 2009

Moose Hunting in The Outback of British Columbia Canada.


Glen Beachy Editor of this site writes about his Moose hunting trip, September 2009.
Here in BC the province is divided into wildlife areas. To hunt in the northern area my son Craig applied for a draw for a party of four. He was successful and was issued two moose tags between four hunters. Craig along with his two sons Clint, Eli, and grandpa Glen all met in Smithers BC. Once we were loaded with camping gear, one quad, etc. We headed north out of Smithers. Two hours later as it was getting dark we set camp and were soon ready for the opening morning of the season.

Next morning before daylight were up and going expecting to bag a moose before the day was over. It never happened. We hunted hard, Thursday-Friday-Saturday, even Sunday, nothing. Not even catching sight of a moose of any kind.

Monday morning I was up before daylight changing my clothes. The night before I laid my glasses on my suitcase and the next morning I couldn't find them. I spent 20 minutes looking for them. After awhile Clint spotted them on the floor in the shadow of a block of wood. They fell off in the dark when I moved the suitcase to get out my clothes.
We grabbed our hunting gear and were off. Craig and I drove across the river to different water shed. This took us to the west end of the mountains where on most days we could spot Mt. Goats. At 7:35 we drove in on a deactivated logging road where we stopped to spot Goats. We glassed the mountain for 4 or 5 minutes when I looked down the road which ended at the timber about 300 yards from where we had stopped. I was dumb founded and could hardly believe my eyes! Here came a Bull Moose strolling along the road right toward us.

It goes without saying that we never talk above a whisper when out of the truck. No slamming truck doors etc. Instantly realty set in and I whispered "Craig". He knew something was up by the tone of my voice. I pointed down the road at the Moose. We quickly went into action and working behind the open truck doors we quickly loaded 3 shells each into our guns. When certain conditions require quick shooting only one bullet is loaded. Loaded guns are not allowed in the truck. We knew we had time for three shells this time. Now we have the big guy in our sights. Craig on one side of the truck I on the other side. Both doors are open. Craig whispers let him keep coming. In a few seconds the moose stopped and looked at us. It was 121 meters by the range finder. We both shot at the same time, as we had decided to do. The Moose never knew what hit him.

One of the pictures I took while Craig was driving the truck through the ditches that were dug across the road during the deactivation. After we took more pictures. Craig radioed Clint and Eli and they were there within 30 minutes with Clint's truck and Eli's quad. Eli's quad is equipped with an electric winch front and back. He drove the quad through the ditch and up to the top of bank. Where he anchored the front winch to a tree and pulled the moose up the bank with the back winch. Craig backed his truck into the ditch below the moose which is now on the bank above the truck. The winch line is backed off and unhooked, the moose is then manhandled into the back of Craig's pickup truck. (we had to cut the moose in half it was to big to handle in one piece)

Back to camp. Clint and Eli skidded in poles with Eli's quad. Before long we have an 18 ft. long meat pole erected with a tripod on each end for support. Once the moose was hanging Eli and Clint went off hunting. Craig and I did the skinning. Craig skinned out the cape for a shoulder mount.

When all is said and done, losing my glasses, stopping where we did, moose walking out of the timber at that moment, we saw it in time, is this all by chance?? As Craig and I stood there looking at this magnificent creature which God created, I said "it makes me feel bad" Craig said "I know what you mean" It was a humbling experience like I had never felt with any other animals I have taken.

Next day Craig and I took the meat into Smithers to the meat cutter. It weighed in at 880 lbs. It must have been 1300 lbs on the hoof. After buying a few odds and ends Craig headed back out to camp in time for the evening hunt. I stayed behind in Smithers to look after the meat etc.

Craig is having a mount made from this moose. He has wanted one for long time but never got one in the trophy class. I like the idea since I had a part in it. In fact we took the cape and anthers to Phil Giesbrecht a professional taxidermist in Cranbrook. Phil is married to my granddaughter Laurel. It is a "Wall Hanger"!
A few days later Craig shot a large black wolf in the same area. That is a story in its self.
An interesting twist, 35 years ago when Craig was 14 years old we were hunting moose together and we bagged a huge Bull Moose the first for both of us. History did repeat itself as father and son once again bagged a moose while hunting together. This time a trophy class animal. The above picture is Craig, Clint, Eli & Grandpa Beachy

1 comment:

Clint said...

Hi

Good story, I all most forgot about the missing glasses that monday morning. Good times hope we can all go again some day.

Clint Beachy